The Indian Premier League (IPL) is a professional Twenty20 cricket league in India contested during the April-May period of every year by eight teams representing eight different cities in India. The league was founded by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in 2008. The IPL has seen many players come and go over the years, with some becoming superstars and others fading away into obscurity. With the IPL 2023 auction just around the corner, let’s take a look at some of the key details.
IPL 2023 Auction date
The IPL 2023 auction is scheduled to take place on December 6, 2022 at Bangalore. A total of 650 players are set to go under the hammer, with each franchise allowed to spend up to Rs 90 crore on their squad for the 2023 season. It is expected that a number of big names will be up for grabs at the auction
|IPL 2023 Start Date||March 2023|
|Ending Date||May 2023|
|IPL 2023 Auction||16th December 2022|
|Total Teams||10 Teams|
|Name of Teams||CSK, RCB, MI, KKR, DD, RR, KXIP, GT, LS, SRH|
|IPL Retained Players 2023||163 Players|
|Released Players (All Teams)||85 Players|
|Retained Players List||Available Below|
|Type of Post||Sports|
IPL 2023 Venue, Date and rules
Here are all the details you need to know about the IPL 2023 auction:
- M. A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
- Arun Jaitley Stadium in Delhi
- M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru
- Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad
- Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai
- D Y Patil Sports Stadium in Mumbai
- Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali
- Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi
- Sawai Man Singh Stadium in Jaipur
- Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Hyderabad
IPL 2023, is scheduled to begin in the last week of March 2023 and end in May 2023.
Each team can spend up to INR 90 crore on their squad of 25 players
ALSO READ: Fifa world cup 2022 schedule, teams and venue updates
IPL 2023 Auction List of Players Released and Retained by Franchises
A total of 10 franchises will be participating in the IPL 2023 auction. Each franchise can spend a maximum of ₹90 crore on acquiring players.
List of expected players to be released by franchises ahead of the IPL 2023 auction:
- Rajasthan Royals: Navdeep Saini, Daryl Mitchel, Rassie Van Der Dussen, Obed Mccoy
- Kings XI Punjab: Benny Howell, Sandeep Sharma, Prabhsimran Singh, Harpreet Brar, Nathan Ellis
- Delhi Capitals: Mandeep Singh, Sarfaraz Khan, Tim Seifert, Mustafizur Rahman, Lungi Ngidi
- Chennai Super Kings: Tushar Deshpande, Chris Jordan, Simarjeet Singh, Robin Uthappa, Adam Milne
- Sunrisers Hyderabad: J. Suchit, Romario Shepherd, Glenn Philipps
- Kolkata Knight Riders: Sheldon Jackson, Aaron Finch, Ajinkya Rahane, Harshit Rana, Shivam Mavi
- Royal Challengers Bangalore: Dawid Willey, Mohammad Siraj, Anuj Rawat, Siddarth Kaul, Chama Milind
- Gujarat Titans: Noor Ahmad, Vijay Shankar, Gurkeerat Singh, Jason Roy, Varun Aaron
- Lucknow Super Giants: Manish Pandey, Karan Sharma, Evin Lewis, Ankit Rajpoot
- Mumbai Indians: Jaydev Unadkat, Tymal Mills, Kieron Pollard, Aryan Juyal, Riley Meredith
List of expected players to be retained by franchises ahead of the IPL 2023 auction:
- Rajasthan Royals: Yuzvendra Chahal, Prasidh Krishna, Jos Buttler, Sanju Samson
- Kings XI Punjab: Shikhar Dhawan, Liam Livingston, Arshdeep Singh, Kagiso Rabada, Shahrukh Khan
- Delhi Capitals: Dawid Warner, Kuldeep Yadav, Rishabh Pant, Shardul Thakur, Prithvi Shaw
- Chennai Super Kings: Devon Conway, Ms Dhoni, Daniel Sams, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Deepak Chahar
- Sunrisers Hyderabad: Rahul Tripathi, Abhishek Sharma, Aiden Markram, Kane Williamson
- Kolkata Knight Riders: Andre Russell, Umesh Yadav, Pat Cummins, Shreyas Iyer, Nitish Rana
- Royal Challengers Bangalore: Faf Du Plessis, Virat Kohli, Dinesh Karthik, Rajat Patidar, Wanindu Hasaranga
- Gujarat Titans: Rashid Khan, Hardik Pandya, Shubhman Gill, David Miller, Mohammed Shami
- Lucknow Super Giants: Quinton De Kock, Kl Rahul, Deepak Hooda, Avesh Khan
- Mumbai Indians: Jaspreet Bumrah, Suryakumar Yadav, Rohit Sharma, Daniel Sams, Tilak Varma
IPL 2023 Auction: Squad Strength of Each Team Ahead of the Auctions
With the IPL set to return in March 25 next year after a one-year hiatus, all 10 franchises will be looking to bolster their squads ahead of the 2023 season. The auctions for the upcoming season are set to take place in December, and there is sure to be plenty of big names up for grabs.
As things stand, here is a look at the squad strength of some teams ahead of the IPL 2023 auction:
Chennai Super Kings (CSK)
The Chennai Super Kings are one of the most successful teams in IPL history, having won the four titles since the competition’s inception in 2008. They have a strong core of experienced players, led by skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, and will be looking to add a few more young stars to their squad ahead of next season.
At present, CSK have 21 players in their squad, including 15 Indian players and six overseas stars. However, they are likely to release a few players ahead of the auction and will also have some salary cap space to work with.
Delhi Capitals (DC)
The Delhi Capitals have made great strides in recent years and were crowned runners-up in 2020 season after reaching the final for the first time in their history. They have an excellent young squad that is only going to get better with time.
IPL 2023 Format
The IPL has seen many changes over the years, with the most recent one being the addition of two new teams, Lucknow Super Giants and Gujarat Titans, With these additions, the total number of IPL teams has increased to 10.
Each team in the IPL plays each other twice in a season, once at their home ground and once at the opponent’s home ground. This means that every season comprises 74 matches in total.
The top four teams in the standings at the end of the regular season qualify for the playoffs, which are played over a period of two weeks. The playoff format consists of two eliminators and a final, with the first- and second-placed teams from the regular season getting a bye to directly enter the semi-finals.
The winner of each edition of the IPL receives prize money worth US$2 million as well as a trophy. The runner-up gets prize money worth US$1 million. Individual prizes are also given out for achievements such as Most Valuable Player (MVP), Best batsman, Best bowler
The IPL 2023 auction is nearly upon us and we can’t wait to see which players will go where. We’re also curious to see who will be retained and released by each team. Stay tuned for all the latest news and updates on the IPL 2023 auction!